HCL Independent Verification & Validation Service division is a centralized Testing organization that services all verticals and horizontals in the enterprise. It is a one-stop shop for Quality Assurance and Deployment needs of business organizations. HCL’s IV & VS combines capability in enterprise applications testing along with the rigor of product testing, an area in which HCL has a proven expertise. HCL’s IV&VS practice is facilitated by a large pool of dedicated testing professionals cutting across various domains such as BFSI, Aerospace, MPEG, and Life Sciences with expertise on various tools and technologies.
The key HCL IV&VS differentiators are:
- A consistent software testing approach that can reduce the time and cost of managing testing programs
- Caters to “Total Quality Solution” in true sense by combining the process & product quality
- Mature process quality services in place to ensure early detection and containment of defects, resulting in defect free product & higher customer satisfaction
- A set of test building blocks and repeatable methodology to increase efficiency and allows for Customization and enhancement.
- Metrics which provide integrated tracking and the foundation for continuous testing improvement
- Outcome/Catalog based pricing models that gives clientmore insight into the nature of services, service value and enhanced predictability.
- Option to move to Managed services in Testing
- Repository of domain based test cases which helps in reuse and time reduction in testing
- Risk Based Testing
HCL has invested in various Defect avoidance methods includingCost of Quality Driven Test Delivery, Training, Quality Management & Process Improvement, Tool Evaluation and Automation,Defect Prevention to name a few.
1. Verification Services:
Verification services is aligned to HCL Process Quality Consulting Group and provides an array of process improvement services which enables an organization to standardize and improve the current IT practices.
Today’s CIO’s main area of concerns:
- Lower Operational cost without compromising on overall Quality
- Ineffective IT Management Processes (Development and support) – Long lead time for Project delivery and Poor Service level adherence leading to dissatisfied Business users
- Weak measurement frameworks for measuring IT Performance in terms of delivery effectiveness, cost and value
- IT Demand being addressed in an adhoc manner - effort, time and money expended on non-critical projects
- Multi skilling of manpower
This particular arm of IV&VS offers a high value Process Consulting Services to help customers improve their QA effectiveness and also answering the above issues... Read More
2. Validation Services:
IV&VS offers a wide array of testing services that have been built on a strong foundation of process, methodology, standards, templates and guidelines .The full-scale testing services covers complete test management activities including Requirement Gathering, Planning, Scripting, Automation, Execution and Defects Management for various custom, web, and enterprise applications... Read More
Early Defect Detection- An HCL IV & VS Best Practice
Early Defect Detectionis one of the Defect prevention Method within the Software Development Life Cycle which forms the core value of HCL’s IV&VS service. IV&VS with the combination of its testing & process consulting group identifies, analyzes and prevents the occurrence of defects.Defect prevention includes
- Collecting the defect data,
- Doing root cause analysis,
- Determining and implementing the corrective actions
- Sharing the lessons learned to avoid future defects
HCL testing center of excellence (TCOE) operates independently; that is without being influenced by any business unit or the development team. This independence is critical to achieve the desired level of consistency in performance.
Value of an objective Independent testing effort
- Centralization of the testing team, with reporting outside of application development, helps increase independence
- Outsourcing validation & verification function does even more to increase independence
- Enables testers to continue working closely with developers but ensures there will still be a final objective check on quality
To bring in more transparency about the Independent Testing Performances in the engagement, different periodic reporting and customer satisfaction survey will be conducted to identify the areas of improvement.
HCL Process Quality Consulting Group’s strengthens the life cycle processes for an early defect detection. Deployment of Software Quality Analysts & Quality Gates mechanism in various phases of SDLC , ensures that the defects are detected & fixed in the same phase rather than percolating and getting fixed in later phases. It has been found that a robust QA process can reduce defect leakage with potential savings of 30 – 40% on COQ.
HCL IV&VS team is distributed globally and organized by region and by domain. It is the domain alignment of our team that strongly supports our solutions / IP’s.
Our teams work closely with our domain-based delivery teams which allows for information sharing on our latest solutions & industry best practices, this also helps us in understanding the problem statement of the prospective / existing customers in the domain. For new customers, our team functions as strategic consultants and subject matter experts who work along with the customer to understand their requirements and deliver solutions that address the IT quality initiatives.
A Snapshot of Cost of Quality Driven Test Delivery
The costs of all activities specifically designed to prevent poor quality in products or services.
Examples are the costs of:
- New product review
- Quality planning
- Supplier capability surveys
- Process capability evaluations
- Quality improvement team meetings
- Quality improvement projects
- Quality education and training
The costs associated with measuring, evaluating or auditing products or services to assure conformance to quality standards and performance requirements.
These include the costs of:
- Incoming and source inspection/test of purchased material
- In-process and final inspection/test
- Product, process or service audits
- Calibration of measuring and test equipment
- Associated supplies and materials
The costs resulting from products or services not conforming to requirements or customer/user needs. Failure costs are divided into internal and external failure categories.
Internal Failure Costs
Failure costs occurring prior to delivery or shipment of the product, or the furnishing of a service, to the customer.
Examples are the costs of:
- Material review
External Failure Costs:
Failure costs occurring after delivery or shipment of the product — and during or after furnishing of a service — to the customer.
Examples are the costs of:
- Processing customer complaints
- Customer returns
- Warranty claims
- Product recalls
Our Test Delivery is guided by the following principles while analyzing the Cost of Quality:
- Focus at the cost of quality over the entire life of the software release and just not on the development lifecycle
- While calculating the total cost , not only consider the labor cost, but also include overheads like Project management overheads, Insurance, Field cost etc
- Compare the quality cost to overall software production costs and software profits
- Compare the Quality costs with Industry benchmarks and norms to understand where the organization stands against the competitors
- A deeper analysis of the data which can lead to actions taken to improve the competitive situation
- Measure the bottom-line effect of quality programs and improvement actions that can be measured
- Identify the previously hidden costs related to poor quality and make it visible
- Arrive at a model to decide on an economic trade-offs involved with software quality thus leading to better decision making