HCL in the Middle East
There is great diversity in the Middle East in cultural traditions, in economic environments, in languages, and in practices. However, the region has steadily outgrown its native interests in IT outsourcing to meet the scaling demands of booming businesses. This high-growth market is calling for specialized IT service providers to manage its fast-paced IT environment.
Companies in the Middle East expect a high quality of service delivery, competitive pricing, innovative and value-based solutions, and credible outsourcing partners. Operating for more than six years in the region, HCL has become a parter of choice. We have executed more than 60 projects in eight Gulf countries for clients such as SMSA Express (FedEx Saudi Arabia), Saudi German Hospital, Gulf News, First Gulf Bank, Abu Dhabi Education Council, BMMI, and Qatar Airways, among others.
HCL’s achievements in the region include:
- Operating for more than six years in the Middle East
- Executed more than 60 projects in eight Gulf countries
- Employees First, Relationship Beyond the Contract, and Global Delivery, Local Center of Gravity are some of the core principles contributing to the success of our engagements in this region
- HCL’s APAC Customer Advisory Council helps us align solutions with local market requirements; provides an exceptional platform for clients and their industry peers to exchange ideas and best practices
- In 2012, registered through SAGIA in Saudi Arabia as HCL Arabia LLC to cater to local market requirements
- Dubai center employs more than 120 IT professionals that serve more than 35 clients in eight countries
- Expanding operations in Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Turkey, and CIS countries
- Launching innovative propositions in banking and finance, oil and gas, travel and transportation, telecom, and retail industries in the Middle East
- One of the first to implement business intellegence solutions in a government department in UAE
- Building comprehensive B2B, B2C, and B2E portals for a leading central bank on the IBM software stack
- Building a pioneering case management system for a prominent judicial department of GCC
- Providing comprehensive IT operations, including core banking support, for the highest performing bank in UAE for more than three years
- Building a loyalty management solution for a leading brand in Turkey, and supporting and building e-commerce platforms for the largest retail chain in the Middle East
Several principles at HCL’s core have contributed to the success of these engagements:
Employees First. Our unique management philosophy, based on trust and transparency, empowers frontline employees to create value for customers every day. This thinking — described in the best-selling book Employees First, Customers Second: Turning Conventional Management Upside Down (Harvard Business Press, 2010) by former CEO Vineet Nayar — has created a distinctive culture of employee-driven innovation. We call it ideapreneurship, and it is yielding excellent business outcomes for both HCL and our customers.
A Relationship Beyond the Contract.Technology is constantly changing, often making even the best contracts appear outdated or ill-conceived. That’s why at HCL we focus on developing relationships beyond the contract, not just by optimizing costs or enhancing efficiency but by thinking well into the future on behalf of our customers. Alt-ASM — our alternative approach to managing applications — and Enterprise Function as a Service (EFaaS) — our integrated end-to-end proposition for IT and business services across business functions — are just two of several initiatives in this direction.
Global Delivery, Local Center of Gravity. “Think global, act local” drives our strategy for serving customers and partners in every region. Through global/local Centers of Excellence, the creation of talent pools in local markets, and the cultivation of an ecosystem of local and global partners for pioneering new propositions and delivery frameworks, HCL provides value to customers well beyond cost optimization.
Since establishing ourselves in this region in the mid 2000s, we’ve been actively involved in various initiatives to spur economic growth:
HCL’s APAC Customer Advisory Council. This group helps HCL align solutions with local market requirements and serves as an exceptional platform for HCL clients and their industry peers to exchange ideas and best practices. The Council has been recognized through several awards – including the Forrester Groundswell Award in the B2B category – for the trust it fosters between HCL and its customers.
Meeting local market requirements. In 2012, HCL was registered through SAGIA in Saudi Arabia as HCL Arabia LLC to cater to local market requirements. Our Dubai center employs more than 120 IT professionals in IT infrastructure services, information security services, BPO, enterprise application services, business intelligence, consulting, and enterprise mobility to serve more than 35 clients in eight countries. We are in the process of expanding our operations in Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Turkey, and CIS countries.
Accelerating market growth. We have long-term plans for the Middle East. Saudi Arabia is one of the largest markets for big transformational greenfield projects, which will enable us to build a strong center of excellence in the region. We plan to launch innovative propositions in the booming banking and finance, oil and gas, travel and transportation, telecom, and retail industries, which in turn will help accelerate the region’s growth.