HCL’s mechanical engineering services suite provides pre-concept, concept development, design and development, verification and validation, and end-of-life support services. We have centers of excellence in industrial design, reliability engineering, advanced engineering, and technical publications. HCL is process compliant to SEI CMMI v1.2 and has achieved SEI-CMM level 4, ISO-9001, BS 7799/ISO 27001, ISO 13485 and ISO 14971 certification for medical devices. We also own in-house verification test labs and low volume manufacturing capabilities.
Our mechanical engineering services include
- Pre-concept: Voice of customer, competitor analysis, and feasibility study are performed at the pre-concept stage.
- Concept development: Concept generation, product styling, human factors analysis, look feel design, lock-up, and usability studies.
- Design and development: Proof of concept, detail design, design for manufacturing and assembly, tolerance analysis, COTs selection, prototyping, and reliability engineering.
- Verification and validation: Test plan and protocol preparation, functional and performance testing, environment testing, component and material qualification, EMI EMC testing, compliance testing and certification, design transfer, service manual and user manual design.
- End-of-life support: Engineering change management, obsolescence management, RoHS/WEEE services, legacy drawing conversion, and value engineering.
What We’ve Done For Others
- For a medical device company, HCL was involved in the value engineering of a negative pressure wound therapy device. The product has the capability to reduce wound healing time by two-to-ten times through negative pressure at the wound site. The challenge was that it was an expensive product and its user interface was complex, which limited its use.
HCL analyzed the current product for cost reduction opportunities and designed a new keypad interface in place of a touch screen — provided electrical and software modifications and design panels and plugs to accommodate changes, and also provided low volume manufacturing services to the customer. HCL helped the client to reduce bill of material (BOM) cost by 15percent and simplified the interface with only two buttons and five LEDs, without compromising on the safety or regulatory requirements.