Enterprises expect more innovative services, simplified and efficient applications, and zero downtime from their application landscape. The demand for new features and performance aspects such as reliability, resilience, security, and quality, has seen a massive surge in the last one decade that is snowballing since the pandemic. Modern-day customers tend to project an affinity toward those service providers who offer an efficient and seamless service rather than the ones that deliver a feature-heavy solution ridden with glitches, even occasionally.
It is evident that always-on digital businesses cannot afford outages and glitches in IT operations that can further lead to unwanted expenditures. This is a clear indication to the fact that reliability commands priority over features every time. Hence, enterprises have begun undertaking digital initiatives to align with the changing business needs that empowers them to “do more with less”.
With the need to maintain remote and virtual presence due to the current pandemic situation, digital transformation has taken a quantum leap at both organizational as well as industry levels. According to a recent McKinsey Global Survey of executives, the COVID-19 crisis has accelerated the digitization of customer interactions by three to four years and 80% of their customer interactions today are digital in nature.
As enterprises are focusing on accelerating their digital journey, here are some relevant observations that can impact business outcomes:
- Adopting a digital infrastructure has become a necessity
- Enterprises are struggling to bring the scale of operations and its related cost to an optimum level
- Resiliency has become a critical factor contributing toward business success
A pressing priority: Resilient and reliable systems
According to an IDC survey of Fortune 1000 companies:
- The average cost of an infrastructure failure is USD 100,000/hour
- The average total cost of unplanned application downtime per year is USD 1.25–2.5 billion
Organizations are looking at minimizing customer churn rates and enhancing experience, along with incorporating new transformation initiatives. Any outage or glitch in IT operations can lead to significant financial losses that can negatively impact customer loyalty. Hence, enterprises must avoid using unreliable applications and services that could lead to adverse consequences in the long run.
HCL CARE (Cloud Application Reliability Engineering): The quintessential approach to strengthen your business reliability and resiliency
The ultimate goal of any enterprise should be to run and manage an application efficiently once it is live rather than simply pushing it to production. Organizations will not be able to scale and innovate every time in the absence of reliable and resilient systems. Thus, it has become critical for enterprises to maintain a balance between agility and reliability while releasing new applications and product features to the market.
HCL’s CARE Service bridges this gap by leveraging a well-defined set of practices, principles, and culture built on an SRE (site reliability engineering), PRE (platform reliability engineering), and DevOps foundation with a strong emphasis on reliability engineering capabilities. HCL’s CARE offering is a robust combination of multiple tenets such as the golden signals, toil reductions, impactful automations, blameless postmortem, and a continuous innovation culture within the team. This helps eradicate siloed operations and identify the root cause(s) of issues for initiating predictive as well as reactive measures. While the SRE takes care of the “apps-down” reliability, our PRE takes care of the “platform-up” reliability.
HCL CARE carefully assesses the customer’s as-is environment using HCL’s “CARE Readiness Index (CARE-RI)” framework. CARE-RI gives a view of the customer’s current environment with respect to reliability, observability, SLI/SLO, automation, and cultural aspects that need immediate attention. It also displays how the steady state of platform/application services will transform once the digital transformation journey is undertaken. It enables enterprises to perform a reliability analysis of the existing infrastructure and remove performance bottlenecks, while optimizing the infrastructure and workflows to deliver resilient operations and long-term digital growth.
HCL CARE Service Overview
HCL CARE offering has primarily two key pillars:
- Consulting Services- Assessment and Design
- Run & Operate Services – Including Build & scale along with Operate. It comprises of a pool of reliability engineering experts to ensure end-to-end product reliability along with TOM (Target Operating Model)
Figure 1: Consulting and Management Services
Key business outcomes
There are numerous benefits of having a resilient, reliable, and sustainable environment. The early adopters of HCL CARE have experienced the following key measurable business benefits:
- Up to 50% toil reduction
- Up to 90% faster identification of production issues
- Up to 35% developer productivity
- Up to 85% improvement and efficiency in monitoring alerts
- Highly available systems with zero downtime
Other key benefits of HCL CARE:
- Maximizing Business Process Visibility
- Visibility and control on business KPIs
- Visibility around business process mapping with application/ services/ platforms
- Recommendations to improve performance and resolve capacity issues
- Operations viewpoint on functional and technical re-engineering
- Cultural Transformation
- Peer reviews in solutions
- Blameless postmortem and quick RCA
- Collaboration among business, development, and operations teams
- Reducing downtime and enhanced developer productivity resulting in cost savings
- Increased Release Agility
- Reduced onboarding cost
- Deployment architecture- Operations POV/ feedback
- Automated deployments and rollbacks
- Reduced deployment downtimes
- Resilient Environment (Applications + Platform)
- Reduction in number of incidents and better resolution time
In a fast-paced and ever-changing technological landscape, it is imperative that services are always available to better serve customers. Ensuring reliable and resilient business operations has gone beyond being a matter of preference to an absolute necessity.
HCL CARE increases the overall reliability of the cloud-native ecosystem by bringing tangible benefits across platform/application services, thereby improving business-aligned operations, with increased agility that is essential for surviving and thriving in this post-pandemic era.
To know more about HCL CARE, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.