The world is moving into the age of Wikinomics and this means that tomorrow’s world is all about Mashup – which means collaborative working and not the sort of Siloed business environment of the past 10 years.
Openness, Peering, Sharing, and acting globally will increasingly define how 21st century corporations compete because tomorrow’s world is about collaborative Innovation, Open Source, Open and Collaborative Service Creation, Open & Collaborative Work place, and Business.
Telecom Operators need to identify and open up their platforms to enable mass collaboration. That platform may be a product (e.g. voice), a software module (e.g. Google Maps), a transaction engine (e.g. Amazon), a data set (e.g. Customer Profile), and countless other things.
The Convergence of IT and Networks is opening doors in all services strategies of operators – whether it is about complementing traditional telecom services with cloud services wraps addressing the needs of Enterprises, or influencing service execution by Increasing decoupling of Network Intelligence and placing it within the control of business policies.
The emergence of OTT providers have shown us that services development has shifted from the traditional networks to devices & applications. Clearly IT is becoming the way even traditional services will be modelled and operationalized.
Users are evolving from mere consumers to active participants.
For Operators to succeed in the future they will have to participate in every transaction that involves communication and collaboration. That is only possible if their assets are broken down as a service and made available for 3rd parties to consume. The future revenue model is a two sided revenue model – from innovators consuming Operator assets (as services) to produce Mashup and services AND from Consumers using those Mashup and services.
The Telecoms sector now need to examine how they could move their value chain from Networks to IT Services to Devices to Smart Applications and work on a number of new dimensions that underpin the changing telecom business including building new IT Technology and skill sets around:
- Carrier grade Open Source software engineering technologies to meet Network Virtualization needs
- New age Analytics that can derive insights from the humungous activity across Network & Social
- Digitalization of customer facing operations to transform the customer engagement experience
- Real-time and carrier grade software architecture integrating Networks, Business, Devices & Environment
- Crowd sourcing development that will accelerate service innovation, capability build, and business agility
- Security Strategies that works to integrated online business environment
- Protecting IPR without losing the richness of incremental distributed innovation
There is a lot coming in the future in no doubt this Telecom industry will be at the forefront of technology driven innovation.