Optimizing SAP for Utilities
The Situation Today
For many energy and utility companies, SAP ERP is one of the most critical software applications, and represents the single largest application management and support cost. IT organizations are pressured to reduce SAP support costs while also keeping pace with continually changing energy business requirements. As a result, utility CIOs are faced with difficult questions:
- Can our SAP team become leaner while still supporting business demands and meeting energy management workload peaks?
- How do we increase responsiveness and flexibility without increasing costs?
- How do we ensure robust workforce management, and attract/retain capable and cost-effective SAP resources and consultants?
- Do we have the scale and depth to drive SAP best practices and innovation for the energy and utility industry?
- How can we become more flexible to adopt cloud-based ERP software package solutions into our SAP landscape?
- How can we better leverage SAP to enable our call center agents, field workforce, asset managers and others?
Utility companies are responding to these challenges by partnering with service providers to provide SAP application support and maintenance services as well as contingent staffing.
How HCL Can Help
HCL is one of the largest SAP Global Partners, with over 8,000 SAP professionals worldwide. We have over 20 years of experience providing SAP implementation and support services to utilities, including over 80 electric, gas and water utilities in North America. Combining strong SAP technical capabilities with a rich utility industry heritage, our client relationships are based not only on our ability to solve technical problems, but more importantly, on our ability to help solve business problems.
HCL's SAP Application Management Services for Utilities
HCL provides flexible support options for all core SAP and SAP IS-U modules – from staff augmentation for specific skills to a fully managed service across all SAP and surround applications. Services can be performed onsite, onshore, and offshore by dedicated resources with deep SAP utilities experience.
HCL's Alt ASM™ support framework brings a unique focus on business process performance, including business-process level monitoring and a deep understanding of how specific issues impact operations. Additionally, HCL drives towards a "Zero Ticket" environment through expanded root cause and trend analyses, robust client and cross-client known error databases, and self-healing capabilities.
[For more on our new approaches to application management, download our white paper co-authored by Gartner, 5 Alternative Ideas for the Future of Application Management].
Optimized SAP Performance and Cost
HCL focuses on optimizing SAP application performance, reliability, and costs. We use our proprietary ALT ASM™ Business Process Improvement Analyzer to help identify opportunities for improvement, including:
- Process and user experience deficiencies
- Custom object usage
- Unused processes and master data
- Required manual intervention
- Process errors, blockages and delays
- Instance consolidation
- Implementation of mobile and cloud surround solutions
- Opportunities to migrate non-production environments to the public cloud
What We've Done For Others
- For a mid-west provider of electric and gas services to over 6 million residents, HCL implemented lean techniques and cross-skilling resulting in a headcount reduction of over 15% while also decreasing incident and service request resolution time. HCL also introduced proactive monitoring and maintenance which reduced unplanned system outages by over 80%.
- HCL enabled optimized, real-time field work scheduling through the implementation of a mobility platform across a multi-state gas distribution territory.
- HCL implemented advanced asset management tracking to prioritize preventative maintenance and reduce corrective maintenance of water pipelines and treatment plants by over 20% for one of the largest municipal water companies.
- HCL automated the manual processes of a large electric and gas utility to reduce the financial close cycle by over 40%.
- HCL implemented and integrated SAP and web platforms to achieve a 30% increase in customer self-service for a multi-state energy retailer.
- HCL significantly reduced SAP infrastructure costs by leveraging a public cloud solution for non-production environments, for a multi-state gas utility with more than one million customers.
Contact us to learn more about how HCL can support your utility SAP operations.