The Situation Today
The relatively stagnant power transmission and distribution market is joining hands with the information technology and energy and telecommunication markets to spearhead the transformation of “Smart Grids” and advance the possibility of intelligent utility networks. Smart Grid initiatives focus on both smart grid consulting and smart grid solutions such as Smart Meters for Smart Homes, household appliances operating on Time-of-Use pricing, and demand-response programs. Additional opportunities lie in the area of “Green Energy” generation and usage, and demand-delivery optimization.
However, there are several challenges to overcome, such as:
- Diverse Interests – Different stakeholders with different perspectives and focus areas
- Evolutionary Stages – Bottlenecks in implementation with varied standards and protocols
- Lack of Collaboration – Need for a multi-disciplinary approach to leverage best-in-class offerings across multiple stakeholders
- Transactional vs. Strategic – For smart grid companies, a long-term sustainable solution framework that adds value to the entire value-chain, is required
- Operational Model - Implementation of Pilot Smart Grid projects at the cost of customer dissatisfaction is not helping the cause
How HCL Can Help
HCL has a three-fold SMART Agenda
- Smart Energy Delivery – Smart and optimum use of electricity
- Facilitator of a Green-Environment
- Benefit all stakeholders financially
Our Approach: We follow the CEI (Collaborate - Enable - Integrate) approach for successful Smart Grid implementations.
- C: Collaborate with device manufacturers, software product companies with smart grid solutions expertise, utilities,smart grid consultants and others to identify the best fit smart grid solutions for customers
- E: Enablement of end consumers determines the success of a Smart Grid solution. We help stakeholders achieve the true objectives of their Smart Grids
- I: Integration and interoperability between diverse components, ensuring the seamless functioning of Smart Power Grids
HCL’s Smart Grid Lab
Adopting the CEI approach, HCL has created a Smart Grid Lab which focuses on addressing industry challenges by leveraging the latest technology. HCL’s Lab helps customers draw up their Smart Grid solution adoption roadmaps, identify their best suited solutions,design the solution architecture , collaborate with partners to test their solution models, reduce risks, meet time-to-market agendas, and more.
HCL’s Smart Grid Solutions
- Smart Energy Management
- Smart BANA
- Smart Traveling
- Smart PV
- Smart Supply
- Smart Monitoring
- Customer Information System
- Advanced Billing System
- Asset Management
- Advanced Smart Grid Metering Solution
- Mobile Workforce Management
HCL’s Smart Grid Service Offerings
HCL’s Value Proposition for Smart Grid Companies
HCL is the Partner of Choice for smart grid consultants and companies across the globe, proactively addressing bottlenecks for end-to-end integration and real-time analytics for stakeholders across markets, operations, service providers, retail and distribution channels, and end consumers. HCL’s S2SGTM initiative is able to deliver sustainable, innovative, flexible, reliable and efficient smart grid solutions that empower consumers through the optimized and real-time use of information and resources.
A Smart Grid ecosystem is similar to the human body where the brain and the spine are key components in enabling smooth body functions – the brain here being real-time analytics, and the spine – integration.