Electronic Device Automation Testing (HCL eDAT™)
Client, fortune 50 online major , was facing challenges related to high testing complexity and non-standardization across devices and processes.
HCL did analysis to identify automation and standardization opportunities and implemented the framework.Discover how HCL with its eDAT (electronics device automation) proposition helped customer achieve 90% reduction in test cycle time per regression cycle.
The Situation today
A wide array of devices are being launched by companies vying for relevance in this digital age. This has meant more testing requirements. Significantly, previously applied manual testing processes are no longer feasible.
Even if automation is embraced, the platforms currently available do not offer sufficient return on investment. There is also a lack of hardware interfaces to access for testing. To help overcome these challenges and deliver an engineering automaton solution, HCL has launched the eDATTM (Electronic Device Automation Testing) framework.
How HCL Can Help
- Applicability in all domains that require black-box testing of software-controlled electronics
- Onetime device-under-test (DUT) configuration
- Remote testing capabilities in conjunction with aero, auto, medical-specific protocols, image, video- and audio-based testing
- Input simulation testing for devices through standard and customized interfaces
- Multiple low-level hardware and communication interfaces supported
- Automated GUI testing and touchscreen simulation
- Multilingual testing using optical character recognition
- Support for plug-ins for test management tools
- Easy integration with legacy and new test infrastructures
- Customizable report generation engine for test results and test progress with objective evidence
What You Can Expect
Electronic Device Automation Testing (eDATTM) solution:
- Is focused on device testing — Hardware, embedded and application black-box testing
- Helps in resource de-skilling — No special programming skills required
- Maximize return on investment — Pay for and use exactly what you want, scale it when you are ready
- Has powerful capabilities for smart devices – GUI testing, touchscreen simulation, sound testing, signal testing, etc.
- Enables quicker yet effective release cycles – eDATTM pinpoints bugs for analysis through objective test reports
- Has multiple interfaces — eDATTM supports most common hardware and communication interfaces such as Bluetooth, USB, serial port, Ethernet, CAN bus, SPI, touchscreen simulation, and digital and analog I/O.
- It delivers up to 50-60% coverage even in regulated industries, meeting compliance parameters
- It reduces effort and cost of ownership by 30%
- Enhanced scalability – one eDATTM setup can test multiple devices
- It improves productivity of test infrastructure and personnel
- It reduces defect leakage
What We’ve Done for Others
- For a leading online major, HCL actioned an as-is-process analysis to identify automatable test cases for reducing the test cycle time and improving productivity. This resulted in 90% reduction in test cycle time per regression cycle.
- For a leading Japanese auto accessories manufacturer, HCL deployed eDATTM to facilitate same setup with minimum modification for eight different product lines and reduced test cycle time by 90%.
- For leading American medical equipment manufacturer, HCL deployed eDAT to reduce testing time by one-fourth with 88% of test scenario coverage.