This year, we focused on setting up processes for capturing and managing data for parameters that had not been reported or partially reported in last year’s report. We continued to work on our environmental and health certifications for HCLT-owned facilities with 2000+ employees. All recently acquired and new campuses outside India are ‘green compliant’ especially the Global Development Centers (GDC) in North America which are LEED certified buildings. Since 2009, our focused green efforts have helped us reduce the per capita carbon emission. In FY 2012, our absolute emission reduction over the previous year was 20,566 tCO2 and we reduced the per capita emission by 17% for the same period. In our Green Data Centres, through various energy saving measures, we saved up to 20,292 KWh.
The following improvisations were done this year in line with our commitment to Renewing our Ecosystem:
- Initiated ways to measure our water foot-print for India-based offices.
- Assessed offices and buildings outside India for green operations, and obtained some best practices to report.
- Monitored emissions of ozone-depleting substances and other significant air emissions.
- Audited E-waste vendors for their practices and provided recommendations and opportunities for improvements.
- Piloted integrated solid waste management methods in few of our India-based offices.
- Increased internal advocacy through the Environmental Week celebrations.
- Trained the facilities personnel on sustainable operations.
- Participated in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) India and received a rating of 66/100, which is above the industry- average this year. Received high scores on our emissions reporting methodology and emissions management efforts and results.
Summary of the CDP Report:
|Company Name||Total Score|
|Governance & Strategy||57|
|Supply Chain Governance & Strategy Average||74|
|Supply chain Risks Average||42|
|Supply Chain Opportunities Average||36|
|Supply Chain Emissions Reporting Average||69|
|Supply Chain Emissions Management Average||61|
|HCLT Scores||CDP Industry Average|
Disclosure Score Table: Disclosure scores are an assessment of the quality and completeness of a Company’s response as per CDP. They are not a measure of a company’s performance in relation to climate change management. The CDP 2011 Disclosure Score comprises the categories above. Each category has a possible score of 100, but is not equally weighted. Outcomes from the assessment helped us reinforce our commitment to key prioritizations on materiality issues.
Targets for FY 2013
|Objective||Units||Reduction over Previous|
|Reduction in Electricity||KWh / FTE / month||2%|
|Consumption Reduction in Water Consumption||Liters / FTE / day||2%|
|Reduction in Paper Consumption||Reams / 1000 Employees||5%|
|Reduction in Carbon Footprint||t-CO2 / FTE||2%|
|Increase in Biogas generation capacity from waste||Kg Biogas||2%|
|Increase in Waste Conversion to Manure||Kg Manure||5%|
|Reduction in Waste Generation||Kg / FTE / day||5%|
|Increase in Solar Water Heater Capacity||Liters Hot Water||10%|
|Increase in Renewable Energy use||Kwh||1%|
|Increase in Rainwater Harvesting Capacity||Kilo Liters||5%|
|Reuse of Treated Sewage||Kilo Liters||10%|
|Environment-friendly disposal of E-waste||Numbers or Kg||100%|
|Environment-friendly disposal of Printer Cartridges||Numbers||100%|
|Biodiversity Programs - Plantation of native trees||Numbers||7000|
Scope: HCLT, India Operations (Company-owned facilities)