What were the needs & challenges?
“If you cannot measure it, you cannot control it.” – Lord Kelvin. In an ever changing business environment, HCL faces the challenge to improve skills, knowledge and performance of individuals in a scalable, sustainable and cost effective manner. To improve ourselves, we first needed to measure ourselves quantitatively using a reliable diagnostic, which could help us identify our strengths and weaknesses.
There was an absence of any initiative/ mechanism which would help:
- To measure the technical competency levels in the organization.
- To measure the effectiveness of training
- To baseline for improvement over a period of time
- To optimize investment in training and allocation of resources
- To improve ACSAT/ PCSAT scores
We needed a solution which would be:
- Accessible to a large number of employees
- Aligned to HCL’s competency framework
- Customizable while being scalable
What were the challenges?
- People Challenges
Project Managers, who were the respondents for the survey needed to be educated about TCI, how to use the TCI survey tool and respond to their queries. Ensuring prompt response to queries and fast resolution of issues for such a large audience with the available manpower in TechCEED was a big challenge. Therefore, we needed at least 10-15 additional people in our team to execute this project.
- Process Challenges
TCI was to be made accessible to 25000+ employees across various locations/ countries. Therefore, an online survey tool had to be developed.
- Budget Challenges
The desired solution had to be a cost-effective one
- Relevance Challenge
The desired solution needed to ensure relevance and alignment to HCL’s competency framework.
- Time Challenges
While developing the TCI framework, inputs were required from various stakeholders, which in turn, needed a lot of time.