The Situation Today
Every business, irrespective of which sector it belongs to, is guided by some fundamental business processes and adopts a standard business model along the lines of the Osterwalder framework. In our view, apart from the core assets owned by enterprises like refineries, telecommunications, automobile, etc. all corporations have largely similar non-core operational assets.
Every one of these enterprises adopts Concept to Market, Lead to Cash, and Trouble to Repair processes enabled through a multitude of channels, networks (fixed and mobile), and devices (laptops, mobile phones, TVs, PCs), to be notified about the status of processes, the state of operations and assets, the monetizing of the consumption of assets, and collect/pay options for such consumption through various conventional and micropayment means.
While each enterprise uses similar processes, Communication Service Providers today are finding alternative solutions to address the challenges that are facing the industry. The graphic below represents the resulting impacts on CSPs due to these challenges.
Operators today are exploring whether a global platform can be built which can provide them with the option to run their entire business on it and by doing that, help them focus on their core assets which are service innovation and management, customer relationship, service quality, branding, and campaigns.
Service Providers will no longer spend any more capital on an asset or a capability base that is not fundamental to their core. They will outsource that to a business platform owner as they revisit the tenets of their business strategy, by asking questions such as:
- What is my core business?
- What should I own?
- What problems should I be solving?
- What can be sourced through others?
How HCL Can Help
A self-funding growth mechanism
HCL’s telecom strategy is driven by the ‘Beyond Connectivity’ principle where the focus is on addressing customer problems due to fast-changing market dynamics. Based on our understanding of the industry that both margin pressure and market forces require a communication services provider to constantly innovate and find new avenues to drive growth,
HCL is focusing on two CSP markets that are at the cusp of the next wave of business transformation – Retail and ICT.
In both these markets, we work with our customers to address two strategic problems:
- For Retail: Securing market supremacy for retail operators who are confronted with headroom-less markets, reducing wallet share and increasing competition
- For ICT: ‘Beyond Connectivity’ relevance by providing new age telecom solutions apart from traditional connectivity services
HCL’s proposition for telecom operators is not to address customer problems in silos but to understand the business ecosystem to provide telecom solutions that can address core customer problems while addressing other opportunity areas.
The graphic below represents HCL's telecom strategy in three broad areas to counter the challenges faced by the industry today.
Drive down operating costs by transferring management workload
To help customers invest in new opportunity areas, it is important to help them transform their cost structure by introducing an alternate approach to - maintaining their existing assets, identifying non-core areas that are eligible for operations outsourcing, and enabling data migration to new platforms. HCL’s solutions in these areas include:
- An alternative approach to Applications Support & Maintenance (ASM) where we work to reduce workload, improve service quality by enabling business aware operations, and provide proactive incident management, and applications portfolio optimization.
- Remote Infrastructure Management (RIM) where HCL manages critical infrastructure including cloud computing services, data centre services, end user computing services, and information security management services.
- Managed network support and operation services involving network planning and design, network deployment, and network operations and management, which includes network monitoring and network optimization services.
- Core and enterprises business processes across the customer lifecycle where we take complete responsibility for core operations [Lead to Cash] as well as enterprise processes such as supply chain, HCM, payroll, and F&A.
- End-of-life product lifecycle and data migration services, where we assume ownership of the maintenance and management of legacy products [TAC, maintenance] and help with data migration to strategic product equivalents.
Use the resulting savings to help Operators drive Top Line and Growth:
While we work to optimize existing assets and processes, HCL also focusses on next generation solutions which will help the customer in creating a differentiator in an already crowded market space, to drive the top-line by finding new growth markets.
- Help service providers drive customer engagement experience transformation by enabling Omni-channel integration, telecom analytics, integrated campaigns and ad-serving, and eCommerce solutions.
- Enable new growth vehicles for Retail Operators at the points of intersection between telecom and media & entertainment.
- Help ICT Operators sweat their cloud assets by enabling additional service wraps like analytics for telecom on cloud, eCommerce on cloud, UCAAS, WAAS, managed security, ERP on cloud, testing on cloud.
- Drive connected enterprises by enabling new growth vehicles through M2M and IOT service offerings in a number of adjacent sectors like automotive, manufacturing, health, and utilities.
Help Operators accelerate service innovation, roll-out (time to market), and adoption, through:
- SDN/NFV engineering, testing, interoperability, and integration services to help operators drive network virtualization efforts by bringing in a set of development accelerators, API test frameworks, open-flow automation test suites, etc.
- Operationalize a carrier grade and on-demand network API enablement and lifecycle management framework that will drive towards secure API exposure, consumption, and monetization.
- Transform the potency of business operations, extend the useful life of technology assets, and improve maintainability and service agility through legacy applications modernization and shift to cloud initiatives.
- Intelligent network analytics and auto-tuning, and in the process, make networks application-aware and offer differentiated services in real-time.
Our strategy enables communication service providers transform their customer engagement experience, improve service agility, monetize their assets in a way that can drive a two-sided revenue model, operationalize a service capability beyond connectivity, and take over management workload in non-core operational areas, resulting in savings that can be used to fund new age business capabilities.