Rail Yard Management
Rail yards are the “black holes” within legacy track/ trace systems. There is a lack of technology installation on automatic identification and tracking of rail car movements within the yard. Due to this, switch lists and train consists are not verified until the pull-back maneuver for switching or the outbound train passes an AEI reader on the mainline, outside the boundaries of the terminal’s yard. Yard clerks visually checking switch cuts and outbound trains in yard operations are a memory of the past, as continued downsizing has removed this human capability from present-day railroading.
Efficient and accurate Rail Yard Management requires information on where the rail cars are within the yard environment at any given time. HCL’s software solution uses off-the-shelf AEI technology in concert with presence detection hardware to provide rail management with the confidence that the sequencing of outbound trains is accurate prior to departure from the yard, as are the switch lists, before the crew begins the track pull-back maneuver.
- Every car’s movement within the yard is recorded and accurately sequenced within the yard tracks
- Real-time update of car movements within the yard is automatically reported to the Track & Trace legacy system
- Provides visibility throughout the switching operation
- Complete control on every movement of cars within the yard using AEI technology
- No misplacement of hazardous materials in close proximity to other restricted commodities