Embedded Software Engineering
HCL’s automotive engineering embedded software services are built around expertise in areas such as powertrain, telematics, infotainment, body and chassis, and driver assistance systems.
HCL has been working with automotive OEMs and Tier 1s on powertrain technologies for more than a decade. HCL offers services in hybrid powertrain simulation, rapid prototyping - electric vehicle controller, battery management system and power distribution units. We have been involved in algorithm enhancement, in-vehicle communication, on/off board diagnostics for electric car sub systems (powertrain control module, transmission control module, battery management). HCL accelerates development by providing rapid prototyping of electric vehicle controllers, which maintain vehicle traction by monitoring and controlling the movement of electric vehicles.
HCL has significant expertise in fleet telematics, consumer telematics, TCU development and validation, telematics operations center software development and validation, and simulators and test platforms, which can be attributed to the experience of working with several telematics service providers and OEMs. HCL has program managed and transitioned entire operation centers across service providers, together with its vendors.
Fleet telematics applications include:
- Fleet management/route management
- Real time routing/geo fencing/replay route
- Emergency call
- Logistics invoicing
Consumer telematics applications include:
- Emergency call, roadside assistance
- Weather alert
- Turn-by-turn traffic, destination downloads
- Remote door lock/unlock, climate control
- Theft alarm and stolen vehicle tracking.
- Connected Car: HCL is helping develop components and APIs for a major North American OEM's telematics and connected car app framework. HCL's development focus is in the areas of remote diagnostics, infotainment, and embedded car apps.
- Next gen Telematics: HCL successfully strategized and implemented a methodology for the complete validation of a next gen telematics solution developed by an auto major in the U.S., on time.
- Mobile Data Terminal: A one-stop, concept- to- manufacturing product was developed for an Australian fleet management company. It included a logistics solution that automated the customer's entire operation and made it virtually paperless.
HCL’s experience in building automotive electronics solutions and its knowhow in consumer electronics uniquely position it in the infotainment domain. HCL has been engineering the products of entertainment OEMs/ suppliers of consumer electronics for over a decade. This gives HCL the lead in building futuristic technologies for vehicles.
The areas where we provide infotainment engineering services:
- HMI and Graphics - Graphics acceleration, menu creation, widget development, 2.5/ 3D graphics/ touch screen, anti-aliased fonts and lines
- Audio - Controls- volume/ tone, tuner- AM/ FM/ HD/ RDS, CD/ DVD- MP3/ CDDA, auxiliary Interface, USB- format/ media player iPod/ iPhone, playlist – support/ creation/ autoplay
- Video - MPEG-1,2 4, HDMI, rear seat entertainment, rear vision camera interface and external MOST TV tuner
- Connectivity - Bluetooth- A2DP, AVRCP, HFP ,PBAP, SPP, hands free phone, text-to-speech, android connectivity
- Navigation - Map handling, navigation calculator dynamic route guidance, gyros GPS, text-to-speech, speech recognition, and point-of-interest
- Radio System Development: HCL developed a radio system for a German OEM’s mid/end series cars. The features included AM/FM tuning, audio play back from SD card, USB, iPod connectivity, Bluetooth connectivity, and we developed radio systems which contain variations based on the car.
- Audio Infotainment Systems: HCL developed an audio infotainment system with support for navigation, Bluetooth, tuner, SDARS, USB, rear view camera, voice recognition, and climate control. We can develop advanced solutions based on HTML5, Open GL/ES.
- Ford Partnership: HCL was the first company to work together with Ford on its Open XC platform which was launched in September 2011. HCL’s advanced expertise in infotainment enabled us assist Ford on this prestigious engagement.
Driver Assistance System/Driver Information Systems
HCL’s automotive engineering services division has executed several development and testing projects in instrument clusters for OEMs and Tier 1s. These products are running successfully in thousands of cars, worldwide. HCL’s imaging capabilities which include lane departure warning, blind spot detection, panoramic rear view aid systems, traffic sign board recognition, and crash notification systems provide driver assistance solutions at a single shop. HCL’s imaging experts have also co-authored two patents with an auto Tier 1 supplier in the U.S.
HCL’s automotive engineering team has an Imaging CoE which provides products and services that include image processing algorithm development, spatial and frequency domain processing, drivers and closed loop camera control, imaging/video framework with/without OS support, automotive software and real time imaging hardware ,automotive software design and development.
- Next gen camera development: HCL developed a next generation camera for a North American Tier 1 company
Body and Chassis
HCL designs and develops various body electronics sub systems with Tier 1 companies in areas like end-to-end development of HVAC unit and steering angle sensors. HCL develops the interiors and exteriors and provides engineering design, testing and analysis of the automotive body unit. Remote keyless entry, tire pressure monitoring, and power running board are other areas in body electronics where HCL has gained expertise.
HCL’s capabilities in powertrain include engine modeling, test platform development, rapid prototyping, and porting.
- PDM/Hybrid powertrain: HCL developed a next generation camera for a North American Tier 1 company