HCL in Malaysia
Malaysia, a newly industrialized economy, has become one of the world’s largest exporters of semiconductor components and devices, electrical goods, solar panels, and information and communication technology (ICT) products. Malaysia’s enterprise IT spending is expected to continue increasing, spurred by developments in mobile computing, mobile broadband, and cloud computing. As the country emerges as a datacenter hub, companies there are beginning to address key IT issues such as security, privacy, cost of labor, and reliability.
HCL has been operating in Malaysia for over three decades and has established strong relationships with the leading companies in banking and finance, semiconductors, hi-tech, manufacturing, and retail. HCL was one of the first companies to achieve Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) status in Malaysia, a designation awarded by the Multimedia Development Corporation (MDEC) to companies that participate in the country’s ICT initiatives. HCL has also been involved with the ePerolehan project, which is moving government procurement activities to the Internet, and e-Services, a government-to-citizens portal.
Several principles at the core of HCL have contributed to the success of these engagements:
- Operating in Malaysia for three decades - strong relationships with leading companies in the banking and finance, semiconductor, hi-tech, manufacturing, and retail space
- HCL was one of the first companies to achieve Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) status in Malaysia, a designation awarded by the Multimedia Development Corporation (MDEC) to companies that participate in the country’s ICT initiatives
- Involved with the ePerolehan project, which is moving government procurement activities to the Internet, and e-Services, a government-to-citizens portal
- Employees First, Relationship Beyond the Contract, and Global Delivery, Local Center of Gravity are some of the core principles contributing to the success of our engagements in this region
- HCL’s APAC Customer Advisory Council helps us align solutions with local market requirements; provides an exceptional platform for clients and their industry peers to exchange ideas and best practices
- More than 600 IT professionals, including Malaysians, Indians, Britons, Filipinos, Indonesians, and Vietnamese employed at our center in Malaysia
- Received the “Best CRM Implementation” award for our work with a leading bank in Malaysia, which was the first SAP CRM implementation outside Europe
- Also awarded the “Best Business Intelligence Solution” for the bank’s data warehousing project, and received the “Top Performer” award for the enterprise content management project
- Received the Outstanding Smarter Planet Award from IBM in 2011
Employees First. Our unique management philosophy, based on trust and transparency, empowers frontline employees to create value for customers every day. This thinking — described in the best-selling book Employees First, Customers Second: Turning Conventional Management Upside Down (Harvard Business Press, 2010) by former CEO Vineet Nayar — has created a distinctive culture of employee-driven innovation. We call it ideapreneurship, and it is yielding excellent business outcomes for both HCL and our customers.
A Relationship Beyond the Contract.Technology is constantly changing, often making even the best contracts appear outdated or ill-conceived. That’s why at HCL we focus on developing relationships beyond the contract, not just by optimizing costs or enhancing efficiency but by thinking well into the future on behalf of our customers. Alt-ASM — our alternative approach to managing applications — and Enterprise Function as a Service (EFaaS) — our integrated end-to-end proposition for IT and business services across business functions — are just two of several initiatives in this direction.
Global Delivery, Local Center of Gravity. “Think global, act local” drives our strategy for serving customers and partners in every region. Through global/local Centers of Excellence, the creation of talent pools in local markets, and the cultivation of an ecosystem of local and global partners for pioneering new propositions and delivery frameworks, HCL provides value to customers well beyond cost optimization.
Since entering the Malaysian market, HCL has been widely recognized for our commitment to the country’s business and societal issues:
HCL’s APAC Customer Advisory Council. This group helps HCL align solutions with local market requirements and serves as an exceptional platform for HCL clients and their industry peers to exchange ideas and best practices. The Council has been recognized through several awards — including the Forrester Groundswell Award in the B2B category — for the trust it fosters between HCL and its customers.
Commitment to local job creation. HCL’s delivery model, which has both a global and a local focus, ensures that the best talent is available to clients in every region. In our Malaysia office, we employ more than 600 IT professionals, including Malaysians, Indians, Britons, Filipinos, Indonesians, and Vietnamese.
Fostering good management practices. HCL earned the Best CRM Implementation award for our work with a leading bank in Malaysia. This three-phase project, which included sales force automation, call center implementation, and CRM marketing, was the first SAP CRM implementation outside Europe. HCL was also awarded the Best Business Intelligence Solution for the bank’s data warehousing project and the Top Performer award for the enterprise content management project. HCL received the Outstanding Smarter Planet Award from IBM in 2011.