Embedded Systems Design & Development
Challenges we address
As organizations are under pressure to achieve higher levels of device integration while reducing cost, size, and complexity, the issue of process innovation becomes very significant. HCL can provide next-generation embedded software and systems engineering solutions that would satisfy these business requirements.
Embedded Product Lifecycle Services - Tailored for the Industry
HCL is known as a leader in developing embedded software and systems for various industries and domains. HCL designs and develops safety-critical embedded systems for the medical device, automotive electronics and aircraft components segments. We use our DSP expertise and IPs to develop fast embedded middleware, rich applications and interactive GUI for consumer electronics, computer peripherals and telecom products. Our embedded systems group comprises of a large and talented pool of embedded software engineers/developers who are competent in a range of programming tools, microprocessors and real-time operating systems.
HCL has executed turnkey embedded software development projects for new products and provided discrete services for existing ones. Our embedded product lifecycle services include:
- New product development: Feasibility study, architecture, modeling, embedded systems design, embedded systems engineering, embedded software development, release management, embedded systems programming, feature driven development
- New product adaptation: Re-development and re-engineering of embedded software and systems, new technology adaptation, performance and reliability improvement and multiple platform porting services
- Product sustenance: Lifecycle enhancements, defect tracking and fixing, feature enhancements, regression testing and maintenance release
- Testing and verification: Test plan design, test automation and scripting, compatibility and interoperability, compliance testing and regression testing
Using unparalleled expertise across various domains, HCL tailors its embedded engineering services to meet the unique challenges of different industries.
Embedded Systems Map
HCL provides embedded engineering services at all layers, as illustrated below:
Processor expertise - Intel x86, ARM7 DMI, Freescale, Renesas, Intel network processors, Xscale architecture devices, Intel microcontrollers
Network processor expertise - Intel IXP sries, Vitesse, Mindspeed, Motorola C Port C5, Agere Payload, Clearwater, ARM9/11/Cortex, Hitachi, MIPS, TI OMAP
Expertise in RTOS - Linux, OSE, QNX, VxWorks, WinCE, nSOS, Windows NT - RT, Nudes, RT Kernel, DSPBIOS, EPOC, ITRON, ThreadX, OSEK
- BSP, device drivers, firmware, diagnostics, boot loaders
- Multimedia including audio, video, imaging and speech components, USB, firewire, UART
- Telecom and networking protocol and wireless development and
- Automotive networks, Telematics
- DTMF decoders, DPLL, equalizers, VAD, comfort noise
What we’ve done for others
For a U.S.-based automotive OEM, HCL designed and maintained APIs for the embedded Java apps that would run on their next generation head unit. Remote diagnostics specifications for the HMI framework were designed and maintained. We were also involved in the analysis of their service delivery platform.
For a U.S.-based automotive Tier-1, HCL was involved in embedded software engineering and development, testing, in-vehicle communications and diagnostics for their electric car subsystems. The activities performed included vision algorithm design, performance tuning, and customization.
Engineering and R&D Services (Embedded Software)