Merchandisers are responsible for everything that happens to a product from the moment it is delivered to the store to the moment a shopper picks it up off the shelf. They monitor product appearance and supply in various stores throughout their designated geographic area. By working closely with both suppliers, retailers, and manufacturers, they make certain that the promotion of specific products will increase sales over a period of time.
Some of the responsibilities of a merchandiser include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with suppliers, manufacturers, and retailers to ensure proper execution of merchandising plans
- Ensuring retailer compliance with merchandising strategies
- Creating and organizing promotions and advertising campaigns
- Maintaining inventory of products
- Gathering information on market trends and customers’ reactions to products
- Analyzing sales data - reporting growth, expansion, and change in markets