Our sustainability strategy
Our long and rich history of giving back to our communities—under the guidance of our Founder, Shiv Nadar—was built on the values of innovation, entrepreneurship, humanity and a people-centric culture. We are committed to long term value creation for all our stakeholders and our philosophy has always been about incorporating the right environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices to ensure a sustainable present and future. Our holistic approach is designed to maximize our contribution towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Our sustainability vision and approach
“Deliver sustainable, long-lasting impact through our corporate actions and our pacts with stakeholders.”
Our vision for sustainability is based on three guiding principles:
Act – We understand that impact starts with us. We act in the most responsible and sustainable manner. We ensure we use every resource efficiently to maximize value.
Pact – Our relationships go beyond a formal contract with our stakeholders. We are working for a sustainable future, in collaboration with our clients, partners, employees, communities and all other stakeholders.
Impact – We focus on creating sustainable, long-lasting impact through all our initiatives and activities.
Our ESG focus areas
We conduct materiality assessment periodically to identify and prioritize topics material to our business operations. The stakeholder engagement inputs, regulatory requirements, global trends and peer benchmarking are fed into our materiality exercise. Engaging with our stakeholders and using a risk and responsibility lens, we have prioritized the following 12 material ESG topics:
Our relationships go beyond a formal contract with our stakeholders. We are working for a sustainable future in collaboration with our clients, partners, communities and all stakeholders. We support and help activate the communities and societies we operate in.
Pact with clients
As a trusted partner, we are working with leading global enterprises to help them transition from being aware to proactively acting on defined sustainability initiatives across the value chain. We leverage our digital transformation prowess, engineering mindset, sustainability-specific partnerships and solutions to collaborate with our clients.
Pact with societies and communities
Social responsibility is embedded into our organization at every level and our stakeholders are united in the company’s mission, values and vision. Our presence in over 50 countries gives us a global opportunity to engage in initiatives that have a wide-ranging impact. With a mission to transform lives and spread smiles, we continue to soar higher as Country CSR council teams continue to lead various CSR initiatives locally. The councils are now in action in 18 countries in Europe & Africa. They have engaged over 2300+ employees through 71+ CSR initiatives.
In India, we established the HCL Foundation (HCLF) in 2011 as the CSR arm of HCL Technologies. It is a value-driven not-for-profit organization, contributing toward defined national and international development goals to bring about a lasting positive impact on people’s lives through long-term sustainable programs.
- HCL Samuday defines the Foundation's resolve to improve the lives and economic well-being of rural communities.
- 63% increase in productivity of traditional crops, 5 times increase in income for farmers diversifying to high value crops
- 42 villages electrified through 32 solar mini-grids and 115 schools powered by Solar PV
- 100% literacy achieved in 2 Gram Panchayats. Enhanced quality of education in 357 government schools.
- HCL Uday seeks to break the cycle of urban poverty through an integrated community development approach.
- In FY2022, HCL Uday empowered more than 560,000 people, of which 60% are women, across 11 HCL cities. Programs catered to holistic healthcare development, education, training, public health, and support of collectives
- 25,151 children benefitted through technology-enabled learning solutions
- HCL Harit – The Green Initiative is a flagship program for environmental action, with the vision to conserve, restore, and enhance indigenous environmental systems and respond to climate change in a sustainable manner through community engagement.
- Water conservation — 80 waterbodies rejuvenated
- Afforestation and habitat restoration — 531,882 saplings planted
- Emission Reduction — total of 85 compost pits constructed and a total of 703 improved cook stoves distributed
- HCL Grant seeks to strengthen and empower NGOs, engage with them, and recognize them for their path-breaking work through grants, which has facilitated innovative community-led solutions and enabled delivery of solutions.
- Committed INR 95.75 crore (USD 12.76 million) till date, with an aim to reach 2.3 million people.
- Positively impacted 1.1 million lives
- Clean NOIDA is HCLTech’s commitment to transforming Noida into one of the cleanest cities in the world. It is implemented in full partnership with its citizens and the Noida Development Authority. The program works toward creating awareness about proper waste management practices and evolving structured, technology-driven systems and practices for efficient waste management in the city.
- Engaged 114,684 citizens for active community engagement in city’s sustainable solid waste management practices
- 31 kilometers of street and 42 kilometers of drains were cleaned
- 10,344 tons of solid waste was managed across Noida with appropriate disposal
Our CSR strategy in the US has three focus areas—education, environment, and health and we work in partnership with:
- United Way
- American Red Cross
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- Habitat for Humanity
- STEM for Her
- Rise Against Hunger
- Music 4 Hope
- Poised in Pink
- The Valuable 500
In January 2021, HCL Technologies announced its collaboration with the University of California, Berkeley to create a Health Technology Collaborative Laboratory (“CoLab”) housed in the Blum Center for Developing Economies on the university’s campus. In response to the pandemic, the CoLab is addressing the urgent need for timely access to therapeutics and diagnostics with telemedicine and telesurgery. As a founding member of the CoLab, HCL is contributing USD 750,000 over the course of three years.
1,670,826 meals were provided during National Volunteer Month to those in need through HCL Technologies’ partnership with Feeding America®. This was achieved through employees’ hard work at local food bank events and generous donations—reaching over USD 375,000 with HCL Technologies’ equal match. Starting in seven cities, this effort to host in-person volunteerism in April expanded to eight cities— Cary, Chicago, Dallas, Hartford, Jersey City, San Antonio, San Jose and Seattle—as momentum grew.
- 1,670,826 meals provided
- 100 volunteers in 8 cities
- 267 volunteer hours
- 124,900+ pounds of food sorted
- 2,172 organic vegetables and flowers planted that benefit native bees on Earth Day
HCL UK has been a proud patron of the ‘Prince's Trust’ for 9 years now and we are extremely thankful for your support and participation all these years. The contributions, throughout all these years have made a huge impact in enabling a brighter future of the young people supported by the Trust.
- In February, HCL participated in their annual fundraising event - The Future Steps, which is a month-long, 10k steps a day, challenge as the participants raise funds throughout the month. We are proud to share that we received a brilliant response from the UK employees - 15 Teams in total together we achieved 16,650,990 steps and raised funds for the young people!
- On 19th May, HCL was back to the Theatre of Dreams - Old Trafford after 2 years with our annual ‘Cup of Two Dreams’ Tournament. Clients and HCL employees have donated generously to the Prince’s Trust on this fundraising event.
- A group of HCL colleagues got together for a great cause! The 3 Peak Power Operatives Team committed themselves for tough challenge to hike the Yorkshire 3 Peaks - the challenge is to complete the circuit in under 12 hours. The team fundraised to support 2 charities - Mind and Macmillan Cancer Research.
- HCL France partnered with Apprentis d'Auteuil for youth training and integration who are in social difficulty. 33 students have been trained.
- HCL France organized for Food donation drive partnering with Restaurants du Coeur Giving, which saw a participation of 500+ people.
- HCL France organized for donation drive including sheltering of stranded students during COVID crisis at their home in Lyon and nearby areas. 25+ students benefitted from the drive.
- Christmas Charity initiative in partnership with oncology hospital - HOPE, Lyon, to support children fighting cancer. 100+ children have benefitted from the initiative.
- Help for Ukraine: Employees donated cosmetics, canned food and medicines
- Donation of pet food, blankets, leashes and toys to local animal shelters
- Parcel for a baby: HCL Poland organized a donation of hygienic products for babies and small children from the Krakow Children's Hospice
- HCL Poland organized for a Food Bank in Krakow with 172.5kg of food
- 650 kg of fruit delivery to the Food Bank in Krakow
- With the purpose of controlling invasive species and the recovery of the riparian landscape, this year HCL Portugal organized several Tree Plantation actions in different areas around Lisbon.
- HCL Portugal organized two Beach Clean actions in partnership with ONG Liga para a Protecgéo da Natureza. 30+ kg of litter was collected.
- In April'22 HCL Romania had 22 employees participating on the Semimarathon lasi - also Sponsored by HCL
- In 2022, HCL Romania call our male employees for Blood Donation to help the husband of one of our colleagues, who was suffering from clostridium poisoning and was hospitalized with sever renal failure.
- In partnership with Glasul Vietii Association, HCL Romania delivered biscuits, gingerbread, chocolate and tea as part of New Year initiative, to 200 children in lasi community
- HCL Romania did a Christmas Charity initiative donating 3,000 EUR Supporting 25 children and poor families with food, toys, clothes and hygienic items and 13 HCL gift boxes.
- In Christmas 2021 for the third year in a row, HCL and Giving People joined hands, supported 85 children and help them and their families celebrate the festive holidays, with delivery of Christmas gifts and food vouchers
In Lithuania, we are focusing partnerships with local child support and health support NGOS with a major emphasis on skills development, children's education and children's rights.
- CSR Lithuania identified 36 school age kids (6-17 years old), having a valuable contribution from employees of more than 2000 EUR to purchase school supplies and bags
- HCL Technologies Lithuania donated 3000 surgical facemasks to CARITAS organization.
- A group of 10 volunteers from HCL CSR Belgium in partnership with Service the city, spent their half day to prepare, package and distribute food to 250 homeless beneficiaries under Lunch to Refugee program.
HCL Bulgaria CSR team in partnership with BCause Foundation as the official charity partner for those initiatives, have selected 3 TOP initiatives so that employees could choose which one they would like to support:
- Lets help children at risk to climb their peaks!
- Help rare birds keep their young safe.
- Construction of a playground for children at risk
- Fundraising for Ukraine at HCL RomeLab - moved by the affection for a colleague originally from Ukraine. In just few days collected 2105 EUR which were destined for the Basilica of St Sofia in Rome for the purchase of goods to be sent to the population.
- HCL CSR Italy participated in the plastic-free day at Rome and Milan, contributing to the cleaning of plastic and waste in park, beaches and local areas.
- HCL volunteers collaborated with the NGO "La stella di Lorenzo" in the delivery of "doves", the typical Italian Easter cake, improvising themselves as riders for the city of Rome and delivering about 300 sweet boxes. The funds raised by the non-profit organization will be used to purchase defibrillators to be donated to schools.
- HCL CSR Italy in Rome have been helping at the Basilica of Santa Sofia (which is the reference church of the Ukrainians in Rome) to prepare the packages of food and clothes to be shipped to Ukraine.
Pact with partners
Achievements, Awards, Accolades and Recognition
In South Africa, HCL is partnering with Safe-Hub to provide digital labs for at-risk teens to help develop computer skills
The 2020 winners of the HCL Grant were among 5,000+ submissions in the Environment, Health, and Education categories
For its 43rd anniversary, the HCL Foundation organized the planting of over 4,300 trees to combat climate change
HCL's "Women Lead" initiative is a 1:1 mentorship program for aspiring women leaders, expanding to the Nordics in 2020
HCL UK works with The Prince's Trust, helping disadvantaged youth gain digital skills through programs such as “Get Started with Technology"
Our partnership with Stockholm’s Göta Traneberg, is creating Team Västerort to participate in the first girls’ hockey league in Stockholm
HCL’s "Women Lead" initiative is a 1:1 mentorship program for aspiring women leaders that began in Australia
Our datacenters use low-powered blade servers and more energy-efficient uninterruptible power supplies that can use 70% less power than a legacy UPS
HCL partnered with the McGrath Foundation to raise funds for 22 McGrath Breast Cancer Nurses to support 2,200 families in 2021
In France, HCL supports Apprentis d'Auteuil with a program called Coders of Tomorrow by helping purchase computer equipment, tablets, digital boards
HCL is a proud sponsor of the Dutchess of the Sea, an all-women Dutch team rowing across the Atlantic Ocean in the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge
Policies and Certificates
At HCLTech, we are aligned to the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact on human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. We are committed to making the UN Global Compact and its principles part of the strategy, culture and day-to-day operations of our company. We engage in collaborative projects that advance the broader development goals of the United Nations, particularly the Sustainable Development Goals. Our policies and certifications are a testament of our efforts.
- Axon Solutions Limited ISO 14001 Certificate
- Axon Solutions Limited ISO 45001 Certificate
- HCL Philippines ISO 45001 Certificate
- HCL Philippines ISO 14001 Certificate
- HCL Poland ISO 14001 Certificate
- HCL Poland ISO 45001 Certificate
- HCL Technologies Finland 45001 Certificate
- HCL Technologies Finland ISO 14001 Certificate
- HCL Technologies Norway AS ISO 45001 Certificate
- HCL Technologies India - ISO 14001 Certificate
- HCL Technologies India - ISO 9001:2015 Certificate (BSI)
- HCL Technologies India - ISO 9001:2015 Certificate (Intertek)
- HCL Germany Zertifikat Energie Management System 50001 Certificate
- HCL Germany Zertifikat Umwelt Management System 1400 Certificate
- Environmental Management System ISO 14001 - UK Certificate
- HCL Sri Lanka - ISO 9001:2015 Certificate (Intertek)
- CDP Score Report - Climate Change 2021
- CDP Supplier Engagement Rating Report 2021
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption Note from our CEO
- Code of Business Ethics & Conduct (COBEC)
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption Policy (ABAC)
- Corporate Social Responsibility Policy
- Policy for Determining Material Subsidiary
- Whistle Blower Policy
- Related Party Policy
- Fair Disclosure Code
- Familiarisation Programme for Independent Directors
- Letter of Appointment of Independent Director
- Archive Policy
- Policy for Determination of Materiality of Event or Information
- Composition of Various Committees of Board of Directors
- Criteria of Making Payments to Non-Executive Directors
- Dividend Distribution Policy
- Remuneration Policy
- HCL Group Tax Strategy
- Procurement Policy