HCL worked with one of the largest integrated communications companies in Africa to enable its next generation IP RAN network across 3000 points of presence in South Africa. By minimizing network downtimes and improving service reliability to its end customers, HCL helped the company improve subscriber loyalty, and by providing better visibility into network operations and asset usage, and monitoring network performance, HCL was able to help the company significantly improve its operational efficiency.
HCL In South Africa
South Africa’s unique social and business culture is leading organizations to seek local outsourcing partners, particularly for IT services. South Africa is witnessing the demand for these services being driven by the Government and large enterprises. There is also growing interest in services offered by IT companies in South Africa among small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) looking to improve their operational efficiencies. Today, focused growth in IT is expected in areas such as analytics, infrastructure management, big data, legacy modernization, cloud computing, BYOD, social media, ERP and mobile apps.
HCL’s journey with technology in South Africa began in 2009 through offices in Cape Town and a ‘Glocal’ Delivery Center in Johannesburg that serves several large South African companies. Together with strategic partners, global technology vendors, and niche solution providers with whom we form go-to-market alliances, specialist partnerships for niche technologies, and teaming partnerships for specific customers, HCL plays a key role in the drive for ecosystem-based innovation in South Africa. Growing consistently at 30% year on year in revenue, HCL is a prominent name amongst software/IT companies in South Africa and is providing transformational IT services in this region across the telecom, financial services, retail, manufacturing, and healthcare sectors. HCL centers are Level 3 BBBEE accredited, and ISO 9001:2008 certified. Know more.
Key Engagements in the Domain of Technology in South Africa
- Anglo American, one of the world's largest mining companies engaged HCL to deliver IT services for its businesses across the globe. HCL will help transform the company’s end user computing and data center landscapes to improve operational efficiency, business agility, and user experience.
- The De Beers Group - the world's leading diamond business, has partnered with HCL for the transformation of its IT infrastructure across the globe. Leveraging our Enterprise of the Future (EoF) offering, HCL will deliver end-to-end IT infrastructure solutions, including data center operations, multi-lingual service desks, LAN management, security services, and service management including tools, desk side support and project services.
- One of South Africa's largest financial services groups, has engaged HCL to deliver SAP core Banking Transformation Go-to-Market and SAP CRM.
- HCL is a partner of one of the biggest ICT hubs and one of the largest integrated communications software companies in South Africa
- For a wireline and wireless telecommunications provider in South Africa, HCL is setting up a 24x7 Network Operations Center to monitor and manage its IP RAN network
- For a South African national government institution, HCL is engaged in consulting services for its Oracle HRMS module
- For the second largest supermarket chain store in South Africa, HCL is implementing the Smart Customer Royalty Program with ERP implementation and SAP build and rollout
- HCL is managing the global infrastructure of a leading Oil & Gas company
- For an African mobile communications company, providing voice, messaging, data and converged services, HCL is installing and managing its network infrastructure
- For a global logistics and transportation company, HCL is integrating its multiple systems and is in a large co-sourcing applications and infrastructure engagement
- HCL makes business operations easier, faster, and more efficient for the world’s leading diamond company. HCL streamlined, standardized and automated several of its business processes such as discounting, price books, cross location stone transfer, special stone pricing and valuation, and several other processes. HCL designed and implemented a Special Stones System (SSS)—an end-to-end tracking tool that manages the receipt, valuation, preparation for sale, and reporting of “special stones”, enabling users to perform intake, valuation, stock transfer, allocation, and reporting activities through the system. HCL integrated the SSS with multiple hardware devices and applications of the AS400 - Diamond system. This completely eliminated manual intervention, and price book creation reduced from almost 10 hours to less than 10 minutes.
- HCL worked with one of the largest integrated communications companies in Africa to enable its next generation IP RAN network across 3000 points of presence in South Africa. By minimizing network downtimes and improving service reliability to its end customers, HCL helped the company improve subscriber loyalty, and by providing better visibility into network operations and asset usage, and monitoring network performance, HCL was able to help the company significantly improve its operational efficiency.
- For one of South Africa's largest financial services groups, HCL developed various mobile applications to help its sales agents in the field effectively provide service to customers by being able to originate accounts, link cards, and sell plans.
- HCL and Cisco launched a South Africa “Glocal” Centre of Excellence, offering customer and partner support throughout Africa
- Research commissioned by HCL reveals large enterprises globally could save nearly $30 billion through SAP consolidation
- HCL was on the Greenpeace Cool IT Leader Board for the second consecutive year
Dynamic business environments, competition, and challenging economic conditions have resulted in a rapid escalation of operational costs which have a direct impact on a company’s P&L. The answer to this conundrum lies in the company’s enterprise functions such as Finance, Procurement, Marketing, Legal and HR, that form the central support to the organization.
HCL’s unique technology-driven proposition - “Enterprise Functions as a Service” or EFaaS™ - enables a reduction in the cost of business operations. While traditional IT and BPO focuses only on optimizing IT costs, EFaaS™ integrates business.
HCL’s ALT ASM™, which dwells on the concept of Proactive Obsolescence, is creating a paradigm shift in applications outsourcing.
While other IT vendors are motivated to keep growing their ASM engagements, we proactively try to eradicate this. By focusing on a cut down of wastes in an ASM engagement, we work towards achieving the ‘ZERO Incident’ status for many of our customers, allowing CIOs to strategically benefit from their ASM offshoring engagement.
HCL puts its employees first, empowering them to believe in everyday ideas that create immense value for customers, making HCL the world's largest Ideapreneurship™.
Our fixation on “value centricity” is dedicated to delivering more value for clients, putting their interests ahead of ours and delivering value that goes beyond the contract. Our belief in “trust, transparency and flexibility” drives us to step into our customers' business reality, guaranteeing outcomes with great enthusiasm. Our Ideapreneurs are transforming global businesses one relationship at a time.
Technology is constantly changing, often making even the best contracts appear outdated or ill-conceived. That’s why at HCL we focus on developing relationships beyond the contract — not just by optimizing costs or enhancing efficiency but by thinking well into the future on behalf of our customers. Our alternative propositions such as ALT ASM, Enterprise of the Future, Digital Systems Integration, Enterprise Functions as a Service, Innovation Monetization, and zCMO ensure that we deliver “relevant” business value in real-time, despite the changing times.
- Helps HCL align solutions with local market requirements
- An exceptional platform for HCL clients and industry peers to exchange ideas and best practices
- Recognized through several awards — including the Forrester Groundswell Award in the B2B category — for the trust it fosters between HCL and its customers
- Long-term plans for South Africa – providing customers with next-generation application and infrastructure management services
- HCL’s Integrated Global Delivery Model (iGDM) makes it a good fit for clients looking for local/regional delivery centers to meet their global business goals
- HCL employs more than 400 professionals at its offices in Cape Town and Johannesburg
- HCL runs dedicated recruitment and training programs for college graduates in South Africa
- HCL’s Global Delivery Center in Johannesburg creates ICT skilled local professionals to deploy and manage advanced solutions for South African clients
- HCL commits support towards the transformation agenda for South Africa, in keeping with the Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act (53/2003) of the Republic of South Africa
- HCL Axon Pty Ltd., a South Africa-based group company was awarded B-BBEE Level 3 rating under the ICT Charter by Premier Verification in February 2014. With this rating, clients will be able to claim 137.5% of spend under Preferential Procurement pillars (under B-BBEE), thereby spurring business.
- The rating also helps HCL build sustainable business models that will sustain long after South Africa has moved beyond its transformational agendas.
What Customers Say
"HCL has been one of the most successful Infrastructure suppliers in the market in recent years, and we have been impressed with their solution and the people we have worked with. We are confident they will become an effective long term partner for our company."
- -- Chief Information Technology Officer and Head of Global Infrastructure, One of the World's Largest Mining Companies
“Where we have previously had several service providers in each local region, our agreement with HCL affords us more comprehensive management of our underlying IT environment and enables us to run a more industrialised infrastructure service that underpins our broader IT strategy.”
– Group CIO, The World’s Leading Diamond Business
"South Africa offers many unique advantages for customer services support and also aligns with Cisco's focus to partner with emerging countries in order to create innovative and inclusive business models enabled by technology. We choose to collaborate with HCL in South Africa because of its innovative, world-class support services. The centers of excellence we operate help us provide a global reach through the use of technology. We lead in the way of adopting Web 2.0 tools that allow us to work virtually and do business anytime, anywhere, with high levels of operational efficiency."
- Director, Channels for Cisco South Africa