Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETM)
The Situation Today
Companies are launching products at such a rapid pace that it has become hard to ensure the availability of documentation. There is a constant need for information to be quickly disseminated to stakeholders. In fact, companies are now seeking to monetize their content so that their technical publications can be converted into a profit center from a cost center. To do this, there needs to be a single integrated solution which can create, store, manage, and publish all this content.
How HCL Can Help
HCL’s Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETM) offers a one-stop solution for next generation digitization requirements of OEMs and software vendors. It offers an end-to-end solution for content creation, storage, and management of simple and complex engineering scenarios.
IETM improves device maintenance efficiency by enabling maintenance personnel to locate the required information easily. With advancements in technology, the technical publication is transformed into a web/smart device based dynamic product encyclopedia of training, maintenance and repair information.Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETM) is a foolproof solution which creates common elements that are used by various stakeholders, thereby ensuring maximum reusability. HCL is helping customers realize their future today through the power of a single source solution.
- Provides cost efficient scalability during the product development lifecycle, and during legacy conversion
- Acts as a single source for managing content effectively
- The same content can be reused for marketing and after sales-support
- Taps the web intelligence for feature request, bug resolution, and missing documentation
- Utilizes augmented reality to create smart manuals that contain enhanced 3D images of the components, with a step-by-step repair guide.
What You Can Expect with IETM
- Enable the use of smart/mobile devices for productivity improvements
- The availability of interactive information leads to 25-30% (approx.) reduction in L1 and L2 calls
- The ability to connect with the customer/tech support team through the application, which reduces dependency on SMEs
- Time to market benefits by synchronizing documentation with the development lifecycle
- Interactive e-training modules for technicians and professionals that are basic DIYs hosted on cloud platforms or an integrated learning management system
What We’ve Done For Others
- Interactive Electronic Technical Manual (IETM) for a leading European communication giant catering to military and civil customers
The customer was looking to create service manuals for one of their communication devices. HCL’s Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETM) solution was used to create interactive documentation. Though limited documentation was available for the product, HCL's team managed to understand product features from scratch and created interactive service manuals. This was done in less than a month’s time. The work involved intuitive designing, 3D modeling, flash content creation and creating a desktop application of IETM.
- Interactive e-Learning modules for a leading Automobile Tier-1 company in the U.S.
The customer was looking to improve the learnability of around 50+ computer based training modules that were used to onboard new vendors. HCL’s IETM solution helped the customer make the content more intuitive. The solution provided a clear roadmap to the customer for content transformation.
IETM experts understood the requirements and content was broken down into a logical sequence after generating learning maps and analyzing the content. The scope of the project involved high-level research on content, portal development, strategy for new modules, integration of computer based training modules, changing the user experience to and increase the usability .