Engineer a Supercharging Future for Yourself
Find your fit and supercharge progress with our exciting career opportunities
Combustion Engineer / Sr. Combustion Engineer
Roles And Responsibilities
- The Combustion Engineer will work in the Residential Packaged Product and Furnace Design team which is located at the Wichita, KS facility.
- This position will create value for stakeholders by planning, conducting and supervising engineering projects with significant magnitude and scope involving integration among diverse systems and culture.
- You will work and collaborate with other cross functional disciplines such as Product Management, Plant Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Procurement, Quality, Field Service and PMO (Project Management Office) to develop and launch new products.
- You will support these products and others in production to provide optimal customer satisfaction. You will also serve as a technical leader for the others within and outside the immediate team to participate in the team environment in the Wichita design group.
Job Details :
- Follow established safety procedures and wear the required personal protection equipment.
- Complete projects in a timely and efficient manner to ensure that improvement objectives are met.
- Create and develop system concepts, product information using information provided by development team members and legacy products adhering to current agency and regulatory requirements.
- Plan and implement processes, systems and procedures to complete assignments applying standard and local engineering practices and principles.
- Identify, investigate, recommend improvements in products, systems of processes to improve application, efficiency or application.
- Conduct system analysis and experimentation to assess application, feasibility of design and explore alternatives.
- Develop working prototypes, detailed plans, test outlines / procedures, and implement tests for industry to meet agency or regulatory compliance.
- Creates project plans and schedules to meet or optimize required development timeline.
- Performs actions to balance implementation, schedule, cost, and resource constraints and make recommendations to team.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineers, designers, model makers, technicians, and/or programmers to ensure timely implementation of improvement proposals.
- Implement viable proposals according to the assigned priority using the engineering change process.
- Track and report progress on key metrics such as cost, reliability, and warranty improvements to internal customers, external customers, and upper management.
- Lead in design reviews for all new product launches to ensure the implementation of previous “lessons learned” and the application of any new product and/or process improvements.
- Lead members of engineering and multi-functional teams to support project completion.
- Represents the company in industry, trade organizations, and in direct interactions with customers as required.
Required Technical And Professional Expertise:
Required Skills :
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A proven experience working with Gas Fired Residential Furnace systems in a design and manufacturing environment.
- Deep understanding of Natural Gas and Propane combustion, air to fuel ratio, In-shot and Premixed burners and demonstrated experience in their application.
- In depth knowledge of the ANSI z21.47 standard.
- Strong mechanical proficiency and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and to lead teams when required.
- Self-motivated with a determination to exceed project objectives.
- Ability to organize and handle simultaneous tasks and projects.
- Strong social skills; effective and professional communication.
- Ability to make decisions quickly to maintain project schedules.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and environments.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft Windows operating system in conjunction with the following Microsoft Office modules: Access, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Project, and Word.
Preferred Skills :
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience with design of variable speed compression systems and inverter technology.
- Familiarity with residential and light commercial HVAC equipment including air handlers, indoor coils, condensing units, heat pumps, gas furnaces, respacks, and their associated components.
- Familiarity with industry standards including AHRI, ASHRAE, DOE, EPA, NEC, UL/CSA, etc.
- Experience in design and testing gas fired equipment to ANSI z21.47.
- EPA Section 608 Refrigerant Certification – Universal (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F).