We shortlisted nine NGOs as finalists for the third edition of HCLTech Grant 2018 received a total of 3449 applications across the categories of Education, Health and Environment, of which, 859 entries were shortlisted for further due diligence. After field–level investigation, 30 NGOs (10 in each category) were presented to highly qualified thematic sub–juries for further evaluation, and three NGOs in each category were selected as Finalists for HCLTech Grant 2018.
Our rural development project, HCLTech Samuday, is developing a replicable model for development, providing services and driving behavioural changes related to health, livelihood, education, infrastructure, water and sanitation. So far, 164 gram panchayats in the State of Uttar Pradesh have been covered, impacting more than 90,000 households and a population of 5.8 lacs. Some of the initiatives include: solar electrification of unconnected habitation, health & school facilities; mother & child healthcare; education & school infrastructure; safe drinking water; sanitation, cleanliness & hygiene; agriculture & crop improvement and women empowerment.
Under the 'Power of One’ program, 37,947 employees, on an average, continued to donate towards the social and economic upliftment of vulnerable communities in 2017.
Scholarships have been awarded to scholars in the regions of NCR, Chennai & Bangalore under ‘Power of One- My Scholar’ Program, wherein HCL Foundation aims to support over 150 academically bright students from low income families through various initiatives such as scholarships, mentor–scholar arrangements, counselling and career development sessions to enhance employability.
We continued to reach out to the urban poor, migratory and displaced communities through various initiatives in the areas of Education, Health, Environment and Livelihood. This Calendar Year 2016-17, the Foundation benefited more than 100,000 people:
- Under Education: 54,108 people benefited through early childcare, development, free meal and enhanced reading and writing skills.
- Under Health: 37,356 people benefited through monthly health camps, weekly check–ups, community healthcare programs, sanitation and cleanliness.
- Under Environment: 9,645 trees planted in schools and resident welfare associations (RWAs).
- Under Livelihood: 2,250 young people benefited through Yuvakendras for skill based trainings in various areas such as mechanical, computing/CRM and nursing.
- Under Humanitarian response: 12,817 people benefited through assistance in the form of relief, rehabilitation and restoration
Under ‘My School Program’ HCL Foundation continued working with 100 government schools in the cities of Noida, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune, Madurai and Lucknow, to bring about holistic development and modernization of these schools.
We also reached out to our local communities in different geographies:
- In the US, HCLTech is engaged with the United Ways of America, for ‘Youth Success Program’, empowering and enabling youth with education, skills and experience.
- In UK, HCLTech continues to impact lives through ‘Get Started with Technology’ program, in partnership with the ‘Prince’s Trust’. As part of the program, so far nearly 50 young adults have been supported through mobile application development and digital training, helping them move closer towards employment.
- In South Africa, HCLTech is working to bridge the ICT divide across disadvantaged communities, by investing in community IT Centres, donating computers, enabling opportunities to become economically independent, providing technology and training to homeless, underprivileged and people with disabilities and encouraging job creation for the youth.
We became a member of the FTSE4Good Emerging Index, a series of ethical investment stock market indices launched in December 2016. The Index is part of the FTSE4Good Index Series that covers more than 4000 companies globally and is designed to identify companies that demonstrate strong environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices measured against globally recognized standards. HCLTech has been recognized for its commitment to CSR and sustainable development practices in the aforementioned categories.
We were conferred with ‘Best Innovation in CSR’ at the ‘National Award for Excellence in CSR & Sustainability’, by the National CSR Leadership Congress & Award, endorsed by the World CSR Day. HCLTech was also conferred Award for ‘Excellence in Sustainable Social Development’ at the Indywood CSR Excellence Awards 2017 at Hyderabad on 3rd December 2017. HCL Foundation was awarded for its role in promoting a more sustainable and equitable society. Earlier this year, HCLF received “Best Corporate Foundation Award” by World CSR Day for outstanding contribution to Social Causes and CSR Efforts.