Our client is a major fast-food restaurant franchise based in the United States. Headquartered in Kentucky, they operate in 5,500 locations across 49 countries.
High operational and hosting costs hindering competitiveness
Simply, our client needed a digital transformation to lower costs and remain competitive in the fast-paced restaurant delivery sector.
A necessary overhaul of IT infrastructure
To reduce their high operational and hosting costs, our client sought to digitally transform an expansive and unwieldy IT landscape that included two US-based data centers. It would require a complex migration from AIX to OEL in Google Cloud Virtual Environment (GCVE), including Oracle, MSSQL and Postgress DBs, so they recognized the need for a technology partner.
An end-to-end Google Cloud Platform (GCP) solution
HCLTech provided an complete GCP implementation that featured a comprehensive assessment, foundation building and end-to-end migration services. We utilized a variety of tools — including VMware RVtools, vROPs Reports, SolarWinds Reports and DNS Dump — during the discovery and planning phase to ensure a detailed assessment.
During the design, build and migration phase, HCLTech implemented Google Cloud Native Services along with a robust network security infrastructure. Data protection was guaranteed through strategies like Org Policies, BigFix, Crowd Strike and hardening. Migration efficiency was heightened with tools like M4C (Velostrata), Rsync/Robocopy and Cloud Sync.
A key aspect of the solution involved constructing a cost-effective GCP Landing Zone, capable of supporting workloads from multiple data centers and regions and providing an isolated environment for DR Bubble Tests.
Competitiveness restored with robust new IT infrastructure
- Creation of a multi-region Cloud Landing Zone build (US East 4, US West 2) with integrated network security features
- Integration of 40+ perimeter firewalls, Rapid 7, Platform security and SIEM
- Accelerated DR Bubble Test on GCVE due to the readiness of an isolated environment
- Successful deployment of infrastructure-as-a-code (IaaC) methodology for deployment and migration
- Facilitated the setup of migration tools to support the migration of 1,500 servers within a 4-month timeline
- Leveraged client's existing VMware Stack investments, rendering the transformation cost-effective and significantly enhancing operational efficiency