What is 5G?
Mobile communication systems change in every decade. From 1G to 4G/LTE until 2019, the next advancement in is the arrival of 5G systems for mobile communication. 5G technology when rolled out will act as the base for lower or zero latency, greater speed, and faster file transfer thereby addressing the needs of internet of everything. This speed in data upload and download will revolutionize the society at large and all our future interactions with both real and virtual world, thereby providing far greater experiences than what we have experienced until now.
As we roll out 5G at scale, there are many areas which will grow faster such as AR/VR, Education, Media & Entertainment, Healthcare, AI and IoT. 5G removes the concept of streaming loss as app streaming will be really superfast, removing buffering needs, and thus provide better user experience and bring about changes across industry segments in areas which were originally working in a restricted way.
In this blog you will get to know how 5G can revolutionize XR application development in the coming years and scaling XR to mainstream.
What is XR
Extended Reality (XR), a spectrum encompassing experiences from augmented, the virtual, and mixed reality is minimizing the gap between digital and physical world. The diagram 1 below gives an overview of Extended Reality
Now, users will see the advent of AR, VR and MR in almost all phases of life around them. The diagram 2 below shows the market size of AR/VR and MR
Current challenges in XR:
- Download of huge XR assets (3D models, workflows, videos, and manuals etc.)
- Network latency seen during video sharing and collaboration
- Slower speed for content delivery and thus degraded user experience
- Lack of high compute power for XR with AI
In order to address the above challenges, the resources are bundled inside the app, making it bulkier and hence there is less usage XR.
To build scale in XR development and its usage to public at large, cloud extended reality is the best form to scale for a 5G world. With the arrival of 5G, scaling XR development will become easier and will eventually solve most of the problems listed above. Cloud XR is the best large-scale development path of the current XR industry.
It effectively solves the pain point that restricts the development of XR, and strengthens the social communication and assistance, providing a powerful support for the development of digital media communication.
The features of cloud XR include:
- Visual object perception required by XR applications
- Rendering of real-time computer images
- Content sharing management and cloud-enabled storage.
It introduces the concepts and technologies of cloud computing, AI, cloud rendering, and cloud computer vision into XR service applications. With a high-speed and stable network such as 5G, it encodes and compresses the output of display and voice, and transits them to user’s terminal devices with a superior performance thereby increasing the richness required for the user. In this way, the content, identification, and rendering of XR service can be moved to the cloud.
Cloud XR has the following distinct advantages
- The complicated identification and rendering can be moved into the cloud, which greatly reduces the computing pressure of AI and graphic rendering for XR terminals. In this way, XR terminals can be easily accepted by more users as light-weight and low cost
- With the help of technologies such as Wi-Fi and 5G, the HDMI cable connected to the terminal can be removed to achieve cordless and mobile terminal
- Content cloudification and centralization, facilitates unified distribution and copyright management of contents.
- The ultimate function of cloud XR is to help implement interaction between man and machine. It provides personalized interactive services and visual personalized presentation for users, and a multimedia and intelligent communication platform for the IoT’s prosperity.
The sensors and display technologies are the core of XR, and the cloud is the centre of computing power, while the XR and AI are closely combined. AI is needed to improve efficiency in content production and real-time data rendering. Thus AI can assist in bringing the advantages of XR to the forefront.
The Big Data and data intelligence are required to support XR. Big data acts as the base for AI so that XR can developed rapidly. Thus AI, Big data combinations help XR to scale in its development to solve a business problem more effectively.
Some of the industry use cases that will lead the way are
- Remote assistance for field force technicians from a panel of experts in a remote collaboration model without experts needing to physically travel to the location.
- In the field of education, teaching via 3D models, visualization of abstract concepts become very easy and guided. This will also give rise to better collaborative tools and improve learning and knowledge for students.
COVID accelerating Digital transformation at a rapid pace, with 5G in horizon, it is an opportunity for the XR Industry to scale development of application at a faster pace while cloudification is also one of the acceleration we are seeing today.
It is foreseeable that based on key technologies such as 5G technology and cloud XR, the future of data communication services will be enriched and the user experience will be improved as never before.