Digital transformation has become imperative for all businesses, from the small to the large enterprise, irrespective of the industry. Enterprises are being enforced by different business and technology drivers to embark on a digital transformation journey. The compulsion is “sooner the better” to remain competitive and relevant, as the world operates increasingly via digital technology. Hence, companies across the industry verticals are on a Cloud Migration Marathon.
Companies that aspire to succeed in digital transformation must understand how to merge technology with strategy for a successful journey. Digital transformation is an integration of digital technology across business functions that transforms how business operates and deliver to the external world.
But experiments and failures at physical data centers incur huge cost, effort, and time. Whereas the same exercise on cloud would incur minimal cost, effort, and time, as the required compute, storage, network, and out-of-box software is available as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. Migrating to the cloud gives organizations an ability to improve flexibility and agility to respond dynamic demands. It also enables the organization to reduce cost and change their operational patterns. The enterprise can expedite its migration journey to achieve different business advantages of
- Optimally utilizing allocated resources on need basis to reduce operational cost.
- Diverting capital expenses into operational expenses.
- Enabling business to spend its effort on innovation
The infrastructure is available on cloud and many cloud service providers (CSPs) with their partners enable organizations to migrate applications and data to the cloud. However, they encounter challenges while migrating applications as mentioned below:
- Enterprises own many legacy applications, where they do not have enough knowledge base and resources to understand legacy technologies and functional logic.
- Lack of knowledge and documentation on application architecture and deployment architecture is a challenge.
- Using the lift-and-shift path to migrate applications does not leverage 100% of the PaaS services available on target cloud
- Re-architecting legacy applications to leverage cloud features incurs huge cost, effort, and time. Additionally, the risk of wrongly implementing legacy business/functional logics and algorithms is also there.
Enterprises that have already embarked on their migration journey have learnt a lot by testing the waters, burnt their fingers, and continuing the journey. Many organizations have married themselves with more than one CSPs to mitigate the risk, leverage different capabilities and manage operational cost. But the CTOs/COOs are struggling to commit on migration considering the above listed challenges and identifying the right service provider/partner to empower them to unlock value and accelerate transformation by weeks and months.
Considering the following factors such as:
- Business criticality
- Expectation on velocity to fast-track migration
- Multi-Cloud deployment architecture
- Flexibility to migrate applications and data between cloud platforms
There is a compelling need of a Multi-Cloud Migration Factory to enable organizations to achieve successful migration on multi-cloud environments addressing about the listed factors. It is apparent that the CTOs/COOs would be interested to engage with a single service provider who is capable of handholding and migration applications and data with confidence and reduced or no risk. Such expectations demand and raise the bar with cloud migration service providers to ideate and develop a Multi-Cloud Migration Factory.
Developing a model and process for a Multi-Cloud Migration Factory with a lot of human intervention will not convince the CTOs/COOs. Hence, there is a need of an Automated Multi-Cloud Migration Factory with the following capabilities:
- Enable the enterprise to perform mass migration
- Automate application and data migration with less or no human intervention
- Automate applications cloud compatibility analysis and generate report on recommendations for decision-making
- Automate recommendations on alternative deployment architecture and cost comparison of deployment on different cloud platforms
- Automate technology and platform upgrades if the application technology is outdated
Anticipating this industry demand well ahead of time, we, at the Digital & Analytics COE of HCL Technologies, have built an Automated Multi-Cloud Migration Factory with a suite of tools and accelerators to empower our customers to migrate their applications and data successfully.
Regardless of industry verticals, organizations that are keen to embark on the cloud migration journey or organizations that have already embarked and are not seeing transformation at the speed they expected and received mixed results can reach out to us. HCL Technologies partners with customers at the beginning of their cloud migration journey to empower them to unlock value and accelerate transformation in a short span of time with little to no risk.
We believe this post would clarify gaps in understanding digital transformation and the need of an automated multi-cloud migration factory to migrate applications and data with less time, less cost, less effort, and less risk. If you are keen to embark on a cloud migration journey or are already on a cloud migration journey and want to increase the traction and velocity, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
Following are some of the accelerators already in action at HCL: