Simplifying Architectural Complexities for Aircraft Weight Optimization
The key considerations for efficient aircraft design are weight and balance maintenance.
Heavier airplane architecture could impact several factors across a spectrum of functions (such as performance efficiency, take-off and landing procedures, maneuverability, service ceilings, etc.)
Manufacturers are therefore facing three key areas of concern in this regard:
- Material change: cost-intensive and leaner aircraft designs to simplify construction material certification by OEM and other authorities.
- Design optimization: enhanced designs for 15-20% efficiency enhancement via built up parts elimination and monolithic machined parts assimilation.
- System redesign and optimization: cutting-edge electrical systems for lightweight aircraft development.
At HCLTech, our streamlined and rationalized design blueprint allows manufacturers to jettison deadweight facilitating the implementation of weight efficient designs. Composite technologies are utilized to achieve the above.
However a number of challenges remain (cost & weight issues) which the composite approach must find ways to address effectively. A number of best practices are therefore prescribed:
- Airplane weight estimation with multiple assumptions defined
- New design and existing fleet difference articulation
- Proactive design influence
- Technology & weight optimization roadmap
To learn more on HCLTech’s solution suite smoothening aircraft manufacturing challenges please read full whitepaper.